Just a footnote to the many comments.

I have now built a UP 3.5.7-rtai kernel on Wheezy and tested on my P4s
moving metal

Both magma and ShabbyX RTAI repo build and work, ubc-1 and ubc-2 build
and pass all tests

The only problem I have encountered is that the system is not as light
as Hardy and even with lightdm and icewm, windowing events, mouse moves
etc are creating latency spikes not previously seen.
This will be because I am using the on-board video chip, which I could
get away with on Hardy.
I have ordered a dirt cheap secondhand AGP video card, which should
hopefully remove that problem

Even without it, on an automatic movement test on my lathe, with
3000mm/min rapids and 100mm/s/s acceleration, over 20 minutes, it
completed without any missed steps or RT warnings.

Hopefully I have future-proofed my old computers
( much to Michaels disgust no doubt, he would rather I used a core i7
and every mesa board available :) )

regards