Hi John,

thank you for your hints. Here the current status:

> - The configure.in check might be better done using AC_CHECK_HEADER
> (look for other examples in the file)

This is right. But I need the path of the ecrt.h file, because I have to symlink
it to the ethercat hal driver source directory, if the master is installed
manualy:

> Are you saying ecrt.h is installed into /usr/include by the EtherCAT
> build system, and that file must be #included in module sources?  Hrm.

Yes, exactly this is the reason for the symlink hack. I will be thankful for a
better solution. One way could be to use AC_CHECK_HEADER and then check the used
include path for ecrt.h. But I don't know how to do this.

> - You might want to clean up the commit history for the sake of git
> bisectability.  d1365ae, 57abb64, and the first hunk of 761521e could be
> squashed together (and the second hunk of 761521e could be separated).
> I just spent 40+ hours with git rebase -i fixing this sort of issue in
> our UB/RTOS branch; don't make my mistake!

I have tried to clean up my commit's in a meaningful way now.

> - Additions of the string 'emc' are discouraged.

I've renamed all emcec stuff to lcec.

> - In your checks for Module.symvers, I'm wondering if failure to find
> the file but CONFIG_EMCEC=m will cause a build failure?

> Warnings while running ./configure, or during the build?

If Module.symvers is missing the HAL component will be build sucessfully but
there might been some warings during build.

> - I personally would have left the EtherCAT Debianization materials out
> of the LinuxCNC source.  See below.

I have removed it and will create a new repos for it.

> - You've added libexpat1-dev as a build requirement in
> debian/control.in, but I don't see corresponding header or lib checks in
> configure.in.

Oops, it was just a mistake. Should the missing of libexpat1 lead to disabling
the ethercat hal driver or better fail the configure process, if the master
files where detected previously?

> You've built your driver for the LinuxCNC master branch, which supports
> RTAI.  On Lucid, EtherCAT supports the linuxcnc.org RTAI kernel v.
> 2.6.32 out of the box.  I'm not sure the official status of support for
> master on Precise, but EtherCAT does not support 3.5.7 drivers out of
> the box, which is what Seb runs on his buildbot.  It doesn't look that
> tough to update, from what I saw, but there're a few things to figure
> out, like what happened to the PIO stuff in linux 3.5.

I could try to get the stuff working on 3.5.7 with RTAI, but need some time for
this. I try to setup a test env. What will be the plan for Precise? Which Kernel
Version? Which RT?

> If you wish to port your work to the UB/RTOS branch, I'd want to look at
> building the ethercat package such that runtime/userland parts are
> packaged separately from kernel modules so that a host running e.g.
> Precise can install separate module packages to match each of its
> installed kernels (my dev machine, for example, has vanilla, RT_PREEMPT,
> Xenomai and RTAI kernels installed all at once).  This may turn out to
> be more effort than it's worth (doing it for our RTOS branch was very
> difficult), but if it turns out to be easy, it'll save headaches.  From
> there, our UB kmodule packages (which don't exist today ;) would depend
> on the matching ethercat kmodule package.

Yes, I like. But I don't know what that means at the moment. I'm currently not
familiar with UB. Where could I start?

Regards,
Sascha