Am 03.09.2013 um 12:10 schrieb Anders Wallin <anders.e.e.wal...@gmail.com>:

>> what it does:
>> =============
>> build LinuxCNC such that it runs unchanged on any kernel found on the
>> build platform (even multiple versions): RTAI, Xenomai, RT-Preempt, or
>> vanilla - only reboot into new kernel required. No configuration changes to
>> existing configs should be necessary. Runs on x86, amd64, and ARM platforms
>> (beaglebone and Raspberry tested).
>>

> Hi, I haven't been following beaglebone/PI development that closely, so
> excuse my ignorance:
> - what GUIs work on ARM? The recent youtube demos only show the blue/yellow
> stone-age GUI and not AXIS.

afaict they all "work" but not necessarily well, which is why you see the old
guis; in particular the Raspberry starts breathing heavily with Axis

My suggestion would be to look into Gscreen; there is an idle handler which
needs toning down a bit - easy to find.

The other option is to start with emcweb or Peter Jensen's javascript UI, which
should be less demanding than the tkinter/Python fat UI's

> Is this a matter of hardware/software OpenGL support on ARM?

I havent tested natively (on say BB HDMI); OpenGL works fine over a remote X
display

Charles is the authority to ask on the issue with the BB

> Will
> gladevcp/pyvcp work on ARM?

yes on gladvcp; I assume pyvcp does too, I havent tried but since Axis relies
on tkinter just as pyvcp it should work just as well

> As I mentioned before I think it would be neat to collect latency-test data
> together with hardware & RTOS-platform data and collect it into a database
> - no I'm not volunteering :( ...

collecting is always fine but the manual way it's done now is stone age too

what we need is a script which automates the measurement, platform report, and
upload
this is where your coding skills would be of terrific value ;)

> I have two Olinuxino ARM boards, and there should be a Xenomai kernel for
> the A13, so I hope to test on that soon.

there is a --with-platform=[beaglebone,raspberry] configure flag. All it really
does is set the TARGET_PLATFORM string in Makefile.inc to either string; it is
used only to selectively enable platform-specific drivers in src/Makefile and
maybe Submakefiles. AFAICT there is no architecture or assembly language
dependency left, so for the compilation process it dont matter.

Adding a platform is straightforward, see src/configure.in and search for
raspberry/beaglebone

the hal_bb_gpio driver should port with rather small effort, since the ARM GPIO
ports basically just vary in register contents and addresses

- Michael