Quoth andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>
>>Quoth Russell Brown <russ...@lls.lls.com> wrote:
>>> 4. AFAICS (using HAL Config-Watch) in 2.5.3 halui.mode.is-mdi and
>>> is-manual *DON'T* track the current state of the axis tabs.
>>
>>And, again, I rather think that they should. If (and only if) the
>>different modes make sense as a global state. Perhaps they don't?
>>(I am not sure why mode-auto and mode-mdi are different, either)

Twiddled with axis a bit more last night whilst monitoring
halui.mode.is-mdi and is-manual.

It looks like the halui.mode.is-xxx doesn't actually change until you
'do' something in axis.  Flipping tabs isn't enough.

On startup halui.mode.is-mdi and is-manual are both false.  On power up
is-manual goes true (which may not match the displayed Axis tab...
which is bad).

Flipping the Axis tabs with <F3><F5> has no effect on halui.mode until
you actually do something in Axis..  like jog or issue an MDI command.

An annoying side-effect of this seems to be that if you use the MDI tab
to issue an MDI command, halui.mode.is-mdi gets set to true as one would
expect.  Flip back to the Axis manual tab via F3 and the keyboard
arrow/Pg Up/Down keys don't jog as halui.mode.is-mdi is still true (and
is-manual false).

If you use the Axis GUI jog +/-, the jog happens and
halui.mode.is-manual goes true and further keyboard jogging works.  I
can see this causing folk frustration as the UI 'doesn't work
sometimes'.

Is this intentional?

If not, is there any merit in getting Axis to 'do something' to get
halui.mode.is-xxx to change when you flip tabs?

<idle thought born out of ignorance>'do something' could be as crude as
issueing a "G4 0" when raising the MDI tab and a 0 length jog when
raising the manual tab?  Better suggestions of 'do something' gratefully
received as I'm happy to try and make it happen as long as I'm not
heading off down the wrong road</itbooi>

--
 Regards,
     Russell