On Tuesday 11 August 2015 05:16:55 andy pugh wrote:

> On 11 August 2015 at 01:45, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Thats tomorrows project, while I am mulling whether or not I make
> > the jig, either air driven to bring it in or out, or, if I can
> > figure out how to drive a cdroms tray motor to flip it down or up
> > electrically.
>
> How about a rotary solenoid?
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/111625860989

Thats another possibility Andy, but that one, levered out to flip this
bit of Mahogany, would have to be pretty stout in order to make its 45
degrees move the gauge close to 120 degrees.  Its 3/8" thick, 1.75"
wide, and about a foot long, swinging on a stick of piano hinge about
that same length.  Currently lays flat on the top of the white ash
clamping platform when in the use position, or flips back out of the way
by about a 170 degrees total turn of the piano hinge.

Thats one of the reasons I was looking at a teeny double acting air
cylinder with perhaps a 3" stroke, or the cd tray gear assembly mounted
out on the end of the table with a plastic hose serving as the relay
medium from its final reduction gear to a 1/4" dowel set into the end of
the stick, near the hinge, driven by a geared way down tray motor
assembly would adequately handle the axis of rotation miss-alignment
caused by the dowels small arc motion.  That would, by the time I got it
boxed up for swarf & saw dust shielding, be about the width of the
table, an inch thick and 2" tall at the axel output just to get it
pointed at the stick.  Seems like a lot of box for what I want to do.

Would some pix help?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)