On Apr 18 2017 2:55 AM, Chris Morley wrote:
> I've been working on a branch that would supply linuxcnc with a
> python QT based vcp program.
>
> This is capable of GLADEvcp type panels and operator screens
> including python handler files.

for clarity, I am assuming that vcp stands for virtual control panel.

> Qt seems to be the future of GUIs
>

> The questions I am wonder on are:
>

> python 2 or 3 ?

if you are careful you can write it for both.  Use  the v3 print ism's
and try/except for the package/language dependencies.

> PYQT4 or 5 ?

what is the long term support of v4?  Otherwise if you do not go with
v5 you are stuck porting in a year or two.

> Currently it's built with python 2 and PYQT4.
>

> My personal opinion is that I see little reason to use python 3 yet -
> it seems many libraries are slow to switch.

compatibility note above...

> QT5 is not available in wheezy but is available in Mint (a fairly
> common used distribution)
>
> Looks like debian Jessie has PYQT5 in both styles of python.
>

> So to use QT5 we would not be able to use QTvcp in wheezy and  i
> would need some make file help

Do we have any sense for how that would impact development?  Is there
any planned support for wheezy?

> to juggle when to build and not.
>

> I haven't read any significant  differences between qt4/5 I just
> would like to future proof the work.

I would say this is the kicker.  If upgrading from v4 to v5 is
painless, then there is no worries.  Otherwise you have to make a
decision.  How hard would it be to implement a migration test?

> it's really disappointing the debacle of GTK2 and 3.
>

> Opinions other comments?

Best of luck, and I truly hope you do not find yourself descending to
the 5'th level of dependency hell.

   EBo --