On Thu, 16 Nov 2017, Jon Elson wrote:

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 10:50:58 -0600
From: Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com>
To: EMC developers <emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Emc-developers] FlipFlop

On 11/16/2017 09:08 AM, andy pugh wrote:
Someone on the forum has noticed that the output pin of the Flipflop
component is of IO type

This seems slightly odd. (It is a compnent that has had very little attention)
https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/commits/master/src/hal/components/flipflop.comp

It looks like (I'm no expert on the code behind comp) that it might actually be functional to set or clear the FF by writing a value to out. So, almost no way to tell if anyone is actually USING it that way!

Jon

Yes, I tried it and it works as expected (setp-ing the output true or false sticks )

Whether is was intended to work this way, perhaps only the author knows.

At the risk of showing my age, I think you could do this on some early (RTL) hardware flip flops...

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)