On Friday 07 September 2018 20:31:27 Gene Heskett wrote:

The offset I may have found. I was using position-cmd to drive x,
maybe s/b motor-pos-cmd. Now homes to 0.000
I've put a limit3 between Z and lincurve.in wih a maxa of 3 & a
smooth-step of 10 and its nice to feel x stepping in and out according
to the z position. It plays with the +- sign in front of the X dro
though.

Now to see if its possible to use an X HOME_OFFSET.
HOME and HOME_OFFSET could stand an improvement in the Docs.

IMO HOME_OFFSET should represent the switches location from the
centerline of the lathe which s/b around +5.5 theoretically although in
this case the toolpost would need to be re-adjusted to reach the maximum
of 5.5" radius as when set to that, and driven inward, the slot in the
carriage becomes exposed behind the toolpost holder, allowing wayward
swarf access to the ball screw. That whole area of the carriage has been
sealed up to protect the ball screw from air hose driven flying swarf
although I did design the the nut holder with swarf wipers, something I
should redo on TLM.

With the offcentered design of the replacement compound/toolpost holder,
I can adjust the real position of a cutting tool by at least 3". Since
its a lathe, and touch-offs are used to match the real diameter to the
DRO, thats a grand "mox nix" anyway.

But not being able to setup the points and corrections with the
hal_show_config is still a major PITA. Being able to setp those values
of the lincurve would let me move along, using a setp to adjust it for
zero on a dial as it moves along my slightly crooked, therefore rotating
slowly, calibration rod, is the pita as the only way to do it is edit
the hal file, and re-run lcnc going thru all the homing etc to get back
to the position being worked on.

To add fuzz to it, changing the z motion direction appears to cause about
a .0026" offset in x according to the dial. Tests that I've done don't
appear to be related to the possibility of my home made way wipers
lifting the carriage, but I suppose its possible. The other, and highly
probable cause would be the vway groove of the carriage is worn bell
shaped. Fixing that now would be a major teardown. But I'd do it if I
could confirm that IS the problem. :(

With this puppy being close to 70 yo, most anything is possible.

The command line in the hal-show-config doesn't apply a setp, and the
failure disables/freezes it until restarted again. Which is making the
application of the bed wear settings very very very time consuming.

Is this one of the effects of a pi's (only 1GB) low main memory? Or has a
bug found its way into master?

Thanks to any and all commentators.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett