Hi Curtis,

There are a few major hurdles to doing rotary axis blending:

   1. Blends between circular motions (that also have motion in other axes)
   are not geometrically possible with the blending technique we use (circular
   arc segments), except for some special cases. This IS possible with line
   segments, however.
   2. The blend arcs are parameterized using arc length; the distance in
   ABC has to be included in the arc length calculation, or the blends won't
   match velocities properly with the segments they're blending. The current
   TP assumes in many places that "progress" along a segment means XYZ motion,
   and UVWABC motion is indirectly tied to this.
   3. It's difficult to define blend tolerances for ABC motion in a useful
   way. For example, with 4th axis engraving program, the effective blend
   tolerance depends on the diameter of the part.

All that said, a while ago I extended the 2.7 TP to handle 6 linear axes
(which avoids problem 3, and doesn't try to blend any circular motions).
The branch is here if you want to try it out:

https://github.com/robEllenberg/linuxcnc-mirror/tree/feature/uvw-blending-2.7

This might help if you don't actually need rotary axis motion and can
pretend your 4th axis is linear.

Best,
Rob