On Friday 30 August 2019 18:54:31 John wrote:

> Hi Gene,
>
> git clone https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc.git
> the/directory/to/clone/to
>
> Probably similar to my Rpi4 instructions for raspian 10.
>
> http://gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/rpi4-emc.html

Reads pretty good for a pi4. What interface card are you using? I have a
7i90 setup for high speed spi on my pi 3. So I'm going to try it first.

Looks like once the git clone is installed on the SSD, I should swap to
the pi4 (after I get some heat sinks for it, I'll have it upside down
with a fan under it so the spi cable is straight and only an inch long)
do another debian-arm net-install, then follow your rpi4-emc recipe
above.  If the rpi3b build on buster works, I'll put it on my web page.

Have you tried the RealtimePi conversion? I built one on stretch that
works, and its on my web page, but the author hasn't (that I know of)
switched to a newer realtime kernel that knows about the pi3's new video
drivers that raspian is now using in its buster look-a-like. I'd scan
his site daily for news about that simply because glxgears, pulled out
to full screen with a non-realtime buster kernel does 27 to 28 fps with
the new drivers!  Without them, 1.7 fps is about normal.

Enjoy the rest of the holiday John, I can wait & do my own piddling
around at my own speed (till they get me fixed next month) in the
meantime. We have company in from New York for the weekend. Dee's niece,
whose man runs a farm of around 2 sections, with several more leased
from Cornell in Ithaca.  He was milking about 80 cows, but that stopped
when the money stopped, so now he's breeding & selling good dairy stock
and running about 2/3rds pasture and 2 sections or so of corn.

Take care now.
> JT
>
> On 8/30/19 1:13 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > I found today, after finding the u-sd card with a netinstall of
> > debian buster on it, that debian-arm for v8's (arm64, not hf) has a
> > realtime preempt kernel available. So I installed it and rebooted,
> > then installed the mesa-utils deb to get glxgears etc.
> >
> > Testing glxgears pulled out to about 95% of the screen was a bit
> > surprising because I've assumed debian would never touch the
> > broadcom code that can run glxgears at 27 fps full screen when
> > running the latest raspian buster install.  But I did get around 9
> > fps, which is about 7.5 fps faster than I am getting running either
> > raspian jessie or raspian stretch.  Thats quite promising and I'll
> > gopher it.
> >
> > So since buster is running quite nicely, (for a change, this new
> > buster install just plain feels right!)
> >
> > This looks promising enough to git clone master and build it. I've
> > done that on raspian stretch, building an installable deb for armhf.
> > So once I have fstab mounting the ssd's ok, I'd need a refresh on
> > the git clone command and about a day. maybe more, as the build dies
> > looking for resources not yet installed, they then need to be
> > installed and the build restarted.
> >
> > So refresh me on the git clone command line please.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)