interesting

if I understand correctly...

the THC uses voltage drop gap sensing,

so if the velocity slows down,

the sensor sees the slot more than the stock

correct?

so the control loop lowers the hean trying to get to the target voltage. (oops!)

we have similar problems in simple hole drill edm

( similar because velocity is a result of process, not an input to process )

when the tool breaks thru, the drop in sensed voltage pushes the tool forward quickly

leaving a correct size hole body but undersized exit diameter ( like an inverted burr )

the edm solution was to change velocity from gap control to feed control once the

breakthru pattern was sensed.

The rule set for when to change and how fast to go should be programmable.

At least until experience shows some static response is good.

thanks

tomp