On Tuesday 07 April 2020 12:26:23 andy pugh wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Apr 2020 at 17:17, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> > In any event I'm opposed t0 the automatic reload of the last tool. I
> > home to a safe position, and I sure don't want the last tool used
> > loaded leading to a crash and broken tool when I fire up linuxcnc
> > the next day.
>
> So you remove the tool, but don't tell LinuxCNC?

Said that way Andy, yes. I do not shut down with a holder on the post,
nor do I home the next morning with a tool on the post. The tool table
is enough of a puzzle by itself, so much so that I wish it could be
named according to the job right in the gcode, a single table is a not
something that suits every job. We may need only 5 or 6 tools to finish
that part of the job, so a named tool table with 10 entry's seems like a
better solution to me.  And it removes forever the size limit of the
existing setup. No reason at all that one couldn't have a named tool
table per job. Asking to have a tool that matches the description loaded
next. If it has to be measured because its mounted in an R8 or an ERNN,
or has been to the grinder for sharpening, a jig to hold it and take
measurements which I've cobbled up quite a few times out of dbl-sided
pcb materiel is not out of the question if in the end it just works.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis