Whilst I am a competent programmer with C and struggle to code in Python, I
think enforcing C++ on GUI users would be a disaster. An interpreted
language is much easier to work with and to add the overhead  of
compilation to a quick GUI tweak will leave users out in the cold. I
persevere with Python because I know that I can  solve problems in Python
in 100 lines of code that would take 1000+  lines in C.  Heck we write
whole ERP systems in Python (Have a look at Odoo ERP previously Open ERP),
so to string a few lines together for a GUI is a walk in the park for
Python.

Only using C++ would basically stop the customisation of this wonderful
software in its tracks and force users to continue to use an archaic GUI
called Axis. It might be good from a programmer's perspective but its just
too far out of date in terms of where software development and user
expectations are today. I personally think that we need to adopt
Python3 ASAP and yes I just got dragged kicking and screaming from Python
2.7 to 3.0 but I did it.

Once Python 3.0 is upgraded the next major body of work should be to
release a new, modern GUI as the Linuxcnc default. Keeping the
current third party developers would be a a smart option because some of
them have done an amazing job and have kept their work in Git repositories
so it is sitting there ready to be pushed into Master branch of LinuxCNC
which is bound to save an enormous amount of work for the developer team.

So not to do what Andy has suggested would really be a bad move in my view.

Rod Webster
*1300 896 832*
+61 435 765 611
VMN®