On Friday 15 May 2020 16:43:50 Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > Unfortunately, the vfd's I have bought are totally w/o even the
> > > footprint for a serial port on the pcb's.  And yes, I've looked.
> >
> > The motor have encoder or some other kind of rotational sensor?
>
> Not that I have been able to find, so I have a fudged up drive to the
> tach, calibrated so wide open at 400 hertz is 24k. I think the motor
> is a hard armature version meaning that up till it slips and stops,
> its running synchronous. I finally found the low speed current
> controls, difficult in the poor chinglish manual and set them up for
> nameplate FLA at low speed and it now has phenomenal torque at 500
> rpms and less.  I'm more than happy with that.
>
> And just now I got a refund from the German motor mount maker that I
> was going use as a nema23 mount on the back of my BS-1 indexer, seems
> they can't ship to the US because of Covid19.  And thats the most
> compact mount I could find. Might have to make my own.  I did manage
> to get that BS-1 up onto the mills table today, but once I had done
> that, and verified my mill had power enough to move with that 80kg on
> its table, I found I can't rotate it but about 5 degrees with the
> cranks despite loosening the lock levers. No idea whats wrong. But
> I've finally got it up off the floor where I can work with it.

And after dinner I had an excuse to go get the mail and then play with
it, and its obviously full of swarf, so I'm going to have to take it
apart and see if I can get it cleaned out.

It, when free, also has half a degree of backlash. The adjuster screw
Andy told me about is locked by a screw thru the front face that can
only be accessed thru an index hole in the plate behind this dummy
faceplate, so...

I've skid blowed the edge of that dummy faceplate several dozen whacks
with an 8oz deadblow hammer, w/o loosening it so the chuck can be
mounted, does anybody have a magic incantation that will loosen that
puppy?

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)