On 5/20/20 5:30 PM, andy pugh wrote:
On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 10:19, John Morris <j...@zultron.com> wrote:

You don't need to change your feature branch workflow, and of course you
can manage those however you like.  It's only when you're ready to merge
your feature branch into mainline that the "all contributions must go
through a PR" requirement applies.

I think I am missing the mechanism for submitting a pull request
without creating a branch on github to contain it.

Oh, I understand now. You're right that each PR must be pushed to a branch on GH.

On GH, the submitter has a button on the PR page to delete the branch after it's merged. That could result in "infinite proliferation of feature branches," I suppose. (Bitbucket has a nice option you can set in advance to delete the branch upon merge.)

I see the GH org's repo has 281 branches. (!!!) Are all those branches inherited from glo (I see some of my own branches in there!), or are individuals still pushing directly to their own feature branches in the org's repo?

By comparison with most (but not all) other projects I've worked with, contributors fork the project repo into their personal GH account, push changes to there, and from there submit the PR. Then any branch proliferation is limited to individual contributors' personal repos.

    John