On 5/20/20 6:31 PM, andy pugh wrote:
On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 11:20, John Morris <j...@zultron.com> wrote:

I see the GH org's repo has 281 branches.  (!!!)  Are all those branches
inherited from glo (I see some of my own branches in there!), or are
individuals still pushing directly to their own feature branches in the
org's repo?

I think this is partly due to instructions copied from glo, where
everyone is encouraged to clone the main repo and work in that.

If you prefer to push directly to org repo feature branches, that's still just fine. (We do that in a private project I'm involved in.) Again, when it comes time to push your changes to a mainline branch, submitting a PR rather than pushing directly conveys the benefits I mentioned in the OP.

I have tried running my own fork, but unless you deliberately make a
point of going through all your branches and merging LinuxCNC/linuxcnc
into them on a regular basis they soon get stale.
(I don't know of a way to make a fork track the parent but push to the
fork Though that sounds like it should be possible)

This is a bit OT, but there's no need to keep all your GH fork's branches up to date with the upstream repo. A typical workflow for a private fork is to fetch all branches or just pull the branch of interest from the upstream repo remote, usually called "origin", and push to your private repo remote (I name mine "gh"); then you can submit a PR from there.

    John