On 07/14/2020 11:00 AM, Reinhard wrote:
Last weeks I worked hard on linuxcnc and the deeper I dig, the more upset I get. Such a great project and nobody cares about quality ... That makes me mad. ... and when I see such things like the homing maze ... That was too much
Well, I've been using EMC/EMC2/LinuxCNC since 1998. There were some stability issues in 1997. But, since then, I have gone through 3 computers and a bunch of software updates, but LinuxCNC just works. I have NEVER, since 1998, had it crash on me. There have been a few issues, but they are all related to operator error of one kind or another. There has been some grumbling about the slow progress and long delays between updates, but it takes a while for issues to turn up and be fixed. So, I think that is the mark of quality -- take the time to be sure it is right before releasing it. Yes, the documentation doesn't look like the product of a billion $ corporation, but it is being supported largely by ONE GUY! And, we are so lucky to have John Thornton take over the docs, that ugly job that nobody else wanted to do!

There is a REASON homing is complicated, there are situations where you NEED to do it in several different ways. Homing is needed for machines with tool changers, and accurate homing is needed where you will restart the machine with referenced fixtures in place, and expect the same reference as the day before.
LinuxCNC does all this quite well.

Jon