Does anyone here know of any let or hindrance why 2.8 can't be
released this weekend?

We have Spanish and Chinese doc translations on the way, and I have
given up on French.

I have made a working ISO, just needs a new pull of the release
version to be finalised.

I have documented installing with the Pi preempt kernel. I _think_ it
works the first time. There are issues with file over-writing after
that, which _might_ be fixable with a "Replaces" in the kernel debs. I
haven't looked in to this in detail.
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/getting-started/getting-linuxcnc.html#_installing_on_raspbian_10
Testing of these instructions would be welcomed.

You can't test the update case, the packages are not in the repository yet.

But you can try out a not-quite-release .iso file
http://www.linuxcnc.org/temp/2.8_test4.iso

--
atp
lunatics."