Hi Jérémie,

On 14.11.21 11:32, Jérémie Tarot wrote:
Hi Sebastian and all,

Le lun. 8 nov. 2021 à 20:41, Sebastian Kuzminsky <s...@highlab.com> a écrit :

Hello LinuxCNC people, there's a possible change brewing that I'd like
to ask for your feedback on.

The translations of our documentation into non-English languages has
been handled in an unusual and cumbersome way, and a new developer has
suggested a plan to modernize and streamline things.
Do you have any concerns, input, or comments on this proposal?

Would you be willing to verify and update the translations into your
languages?

What can we software people do to help make this task easier?

Feels like you read my mind!

Actually, I began setting up a continuous translation infrastructure a few
month ago but structure, format and state of documentation made me start
with QtPyVCP for a smaller endeavour... But finally got sidetracked, again
😔

You can find it at https://crowdin.com/project/linuxcnc

I had a look. Somewhat unfortunate but maybe a good test case is that
the master branch has the asciidoc .txt files renamed to .adoc files.
The motivation was the github allows for a preview of asciidoc, even
integrating the images. How does the communication happen between that
website and the LinuxCNC github? All manual, right?

Folks there kindly offered a free enterprise account for the project.

As a Debian developer this is refreshing to read. Their legalese is
quite extensive, though. Personally I was not convinced. My main concern
is the apparent lack of synchronicity between the reference
documentation in github (which I presume is meant to remain the
reference, right?) and its translations. But these .po files from the
po4a project that Petter suggests I have not yet seen applied on larger
texts, so, I cannot judge, it is just the impressions I get from what I
think to know/read.

Hope all the hard work done lately on sanitizing documentation are seeds
planted for a new era...

:) For me personally this is definitely true. I am still in this
honeymoon phase of it all, and happily escape from the real world when
reading something about LinuxCNC, no idea about how long this will last.
I am low-dosing it, though.

It may sound a bit weird, but the documentation I am confident has
highest chances to attract larger audiences and with it more
contributors, also to other languages. Since the translators are
typically the ones who read the original documentation with quite some
scrutiny and may have some notable writing (as in
"thought-linearisation") skills in general, the translators need an
opportunity to change or at least comment on the original wording and
add references or explain abbreviations or to just point out what needs
to be improved. Also, I sense that if translators interact with github
then they will feel more like being a part of the project, too.

All that combined I am not too much of a fan to outsource the
translation to an external service if that is not pulling from github.
Frankly, github should have some appropriate translation services
included. For now, the in-file translations with the ":lang:" tags and
the .po solution I find superior.

Best,
Steffen