On Friday, January 28, 2022 10:18:38 AM EST Steffen Möller wrote:

> >> Processing linuxcnc-uspace_2.9.0~pre0_arm64.deb...
> >
> > Install them on a pi, and run latency-test please.
>
> Are you running on 64bit? Then the packages should work.

Not on the pi's, always armhf. arm64 is too slow. This runs fine on a pi3
even, but the rpi3 is dragging its tongue on the floor, I had to move
some of the lower response stuff to a slower thread to give the quick
stuff enough time to work on the rpi3b and can't do much else at the same
time, but it did get the job done before the rpi4 came out.

Machine control, in close enough to real time demand low irq latency. For
normal pc's AMD processors don't do that even running rtai kernels, but
intels from about 586 had managed it well enough to work but i5's are
amazing. Even atoms ran it well enough to get the job done here for about
a decade but they've all died for various reasons associated with the
bblb syndrome now. I've got 2 I need to recycle but haven't made the trip
to the recycle trailer yet. I bought a stack of off-lease Dells to
replace the atoms with, works very well with my only complaint about
Dells being the 2 sata ports max. Running from SSD's you would swear they
are brand new state of the art machines.

You may be able to build it on arm64's but linuxcnc checks to see if
certain resources are available that are only available from a realtime,
fully preemptable kernel, making a graceful exit if they aren't found.

And that is exactly why I asked for you to install those debs on an arm64
and run the latency-test. I suspect it won't run because those realtime
resources aren't there.

I have tried your latest arm64 install just last week, to find its text
only, has no working network, and startx won't run. linuxcnc needs at
least a basic x install that works. I get that with all the eye candy
you'd want from raspios. But raspi people are fussy, multimedia targeted
only subjects are allowed on their forum, and there is no mailing list.
They want to be in absolute control of their product and asking about a
realtime kernel on their forum gets you blocked from further posts there,
apparently for life.

So I have no choice but to come and ask the src of what becomes raspios,
debian when I have problems I can't solve.

debian does not spin such an armhf release that I can find, we've always
had to build it.  The realtime-preempt kernel is major but we can and
have handled that. It's not that difficult now thanks to the new quilt
and git tools, I just built it last Sunday on that rpi4 in under an hour
and its running in place of the stock armhfv7 "kernel7l" on that rpi4
right now. Watching paint dry boring in fact.

But you're ignoring all that. My problem, as I see it right now, is the
the new boost-python is incapable of doing what the python 2 version
available in buster could do.  And that is a showstopper on raspios
bullseye. And it for us, should be sorted by busters EOL if not well
before.

Note also that I am just a linuxcnc user, albeit probably the eldest. My
main contribution is that of the canary in the coal mine, building and
using the output of a new git pull, when new commits have been made, and
reporting if it died. That sequence recently has been daily, until
bullseye failed to build.

I don't speak for management.

I see about a 20,000 LOC commit, but its mainly languages added so I'll
redoing Steffens requested method to see if it gets any closer.
I installed a half dozen more pkgs with boost in the description, but it
still dies at the same point:

/usr/bin/ld: ../lib/librs274.so.0: undefined reference to
`boost::python::detail::tuple_base::tuple_base(boost::python::api::object
const&)'
make[2]: *** [emc/task/Submakefile:37: ../bin/milltask] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/media/pi/workspace/bullseye-linuxcnc/src'
make[1]: *** [debian/rules:51: override_dh_auto_build-arch] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/media/pi/workspace/bullseye-linuxcnc'
make: *** [debian/rules:39: build] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build subprocess returned exit
status 2

Next?

Take care and stay well everybody.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.