On Friday, January 28, 2022 1:32:52 PM EST gene heskett wrote:

> > > Install them on a pi, and run latency-test please.
> >
> > Are you running on 64bit? Then the packages should work.
>
> Not on the pi's, always armhf. arm64 is too slow. This runs fine on a
> pi3 even, but the rpi3 is dragging its tongue on the floor, I had to
> move some of the lower response stuff to a slower thread to give the
> quick stuff enough time to work on the rpi3b and can't do much else at
> the same time, but it did get the job done before the rpi4 came out.
>
> Machine control, in close enough to real time demand low irq latency.
> For normal pc's AMD processors don't do that even running rtai
> kernels, but intels from about 586 had managed it well enough to work
> but i5's are amazing. Even atoms ran it well enough to get the job
> done here for about a decade but they've all died for various reasons
> associated with the bblb syndrome now. I've got 2 I need to recycle
> but haven't made the trip to the recycle trailer yet. I bought a stack
> of off-lease Dells to replace the atoms with, works very well with my
> only complaint about Dells being the 2 sata ports max. Running from
> SSD's you would swear they are brand new state of the art machines.
>
> You may be able to build it on arm64's but linuxcnc checks to see if
> certain resources are available that are only available from a
> realtime, fully preemptable kernel, making a graceful exit if they
> aren't found.

Tell you what, I just found a debian armhf net-install image for armhf in
11.2, and since I can't get it built on a raspios bullseye, I'll rewrite
that card and start from scratch with a genuine debian 11.2 install, just
to see if I can make it run, with this kernel, on your bullseye.

When I have something to report, I will.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis