Am 23.03.22 um 00:09 schrieb andy pugh:
On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 at 14:08, Hans Unzner<hansunz...@gmail.com>  wrote:

I worked on categorizing the HAL components, but don't know all components.
Therefore I would appreciate if you can have a look at this list:
https://hansu.github.io/linuxcnc-doc/devel/html/hal/components.html
I am not sure how to submit changes to that document. Perhaps create a
new github repo with it in so that PRs can be submitted?
You can just make PRs on my fork. But I can also create a branch on the main repo, so that you for example can simply push to it.
I think I would lay it out somewhat differently. I think that
separating by realtime / userspace confuses the layout, and it might
be better to state this on a section-by-section or module-by-module
basis.
You mean we should not stick to a structure which has been there in this way for more than 11 years ? 😁
But yes, I totally agree.
Or maybe we could have subsections for that. Let me see what looks better on that document...

/Hardware drivers //
//    Realtime//
//        hal_ppmc//
//        hostmot2 (and sub-drivers)//
//        hal_parport//
//        ...//
//    Userspace//
//        the various VFD drivers/

There should be a short explanation of what this means in practical terms
Do you mean what this section means?
The idea is to have them ordered in the sequence of relevance to the user.
GUIs [userspace](real GUIs, not the helpers / interfaces)
    {I thought that there was a page that describe the GUIs with a
screenshot of each, but I can't find it. But there should be a link to
it here}
     axis
     gscreen
     touchy
Motion
     motion [realtime]
     milltask [userspace]
     iocontrol [userspace]
Hardware drivers [realtime]
     hal_ppmc
     hostmot2 (and sub-drivers)
     hal_parport
Hardware drivers (userspace)
     the various VFD drivers.
HAL Components [realtime]
     logic (and2, or2, lut5)
     type conversion
     the muxes all together
     others: bldc, lincurve, multiclick, matrix_kb, sendkeys etc
Other user interface [Userspace]
     iocontrol
     halui
     axis-remote