On Thursday, 7 April 2022 10:54:41 EDT Steffen Möller wrote:
> On 07.04.22 16:26, andy pugh wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 at 15:07, Steffen Möller <steffen_moel...@gmx.de>
wrote:
> >>   LinuxCNC built for 14 different platforms
> >>
> >> (https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=linuxcnc) and while
> >> RISC V likely has everyone's attention, IBM's big iron s390x seems
> >> less interesting for us.
> >
> > Is that really saying that we can run LinuxCNC on a Motorola 68k in a
> > classic Mac?
> > (What I am really asking about here is the realtime kernel dependency
> > part)
> I am a bit rusty here but a memory management unit is required which is
> only available starting with the 68030? Or the 68020 with an extra
> chip? Yip
> https://www.macworld.com/article/220967/how-to-install-linux-on-a-vinta
> ge-68k-mac.html
>
> The M68k has a name for realtime computing but I have no idea about how
> much of that is made available for a regular Linux.

My guess is firm no Steffan. A lot has changed I'm sure, but the last
time I tried to boot linux on a PP&S 68040 board in an A2000 amiga, with
64 megs of dram on the PP&S card, it treated the 68040 like a 68000, or
ran on the mobo's 68000 and could not find but 500k of video memory.
Didn't even find the 2 megs of dram on the commie scsi card. The 68000
then ran at 7 mhz.

Took it over a minute of swapping to show me an ls of /. That was quite
some years back up the log, the pi3b has MUCH more real power than the
plain M68k.

I rebooted to amigdos3.1 as linux was not then usefull on m68k'

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis