Manual on page 3 http://linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/pdf/LinuxCNC_Developer.pdf

NML should work over TCP/IP networks including Ethernet but think it is currently out of order and only work using shared memory buffers. Try to get it started using ordinary TCP/IP over ordinary Ethernet network a few years ago, might be axis which is the problem.

Ethernet is not well suited for real time control, it is however possible in a controlled environment or if some missed dead lines may be accepted. There is a difference between video and machine control, amount of data is relatively small in machine control but with control loop over network it have to be sent very often. Interestingly old ATM for telephone network send many small messages, read something about 48 bytes.

Main problem with Ethernet is then connected to an ordinary network. Other messages may arrive at any time and if they are sent first real time communication is delayed. Have not yet figured how to tell Linux to not send other communication then used as a real time controller though probably not very hard, then listening with Wireshark there are coming out arp request and other request on the Ethernet port.

Nicklas Karlsson