On Saturday, 16 April 2022 13:17:16 EDT Torsten Curdt via Emc-developers
wrote:
> > > But this feedback loop decouples the real position from the
> > > meant-to-be position. (expressed in the following error)
> > > And I don't see how the real position could be reported back to
> > > LinuxCNC>
> > so
> >
> > > it's still in full control of the movement.
> > > ...unless you connect the encoder directly to the Mesa instead of
> > > the
> > > Closed Loop Stepper driver.
> >
> > You can send the encoder feedback to lcnc as well as the drive using
> > splitter.
>
> Ah, interesting.
>
> The encoders on closed loop steppers seem to usually have 4 pins.
> (EA+,EB+,EB-,EA-)

For noise considerations, the Lichuan motors and drivers (LCDA357H) are
differential.

> Does that mean it requires 4 inputs per motor? Or would this somehow be
> normalized into STEPs and DIRs? Or what does LinuxCNC expect?

The encoders are quadrature, so the diff is low, but the splitter could
easily turn that signal pair into a TTL level signal. In fact, and not
for a 3 phase setup, I'm doing that conversion mid-cable on my Go704.
Using $2.50 rs485 interfaces solder programmed for 1 way only signaling.

> The splitting would not work for the servos that have the driver
> integrated though.

Why not?

> For example JMC Servos can only provide feedback via modbus for
> example. So I guess they wouldn't be really ideal to work with unless
> LinuxCNC could also poll the modbus as a feedback channel.
>
> It sounds like the ideal LinuxCNC setup would be a very dump driver
> (without encoder support) and a stepper/servo with just an exposed
> encoder. And then have LinuxCNC take care of everything.

> Does that sound about right?

See wiki.linuxcnc.org, its been done around a decade ago. Nyquist related
phase errors I believe limited the speed, but might work better feeding
mesa stepgens and encoders since they're much faster than software.

> cheers,
> Torsten

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)