On Sunday, 17 April 2022 05:57:07 EDT Torsten Curdt via Emc-developers
wrote:
> > BUT my ballscrews are 05mm and planned for servo speeds.
> >
> > > I don't really want to go from the idea of the dynamic servo driven
> > > machine to the stepper turtle :)
> >
> > All my stuff is steppers, but I wouldn't call a g0 move at 250 ipm a
> > turtle. The whole steel framed table its on shakes.
>
> /me converts - that's 6.35 meter per minute - that's about 10.5cm per
> second.
>
> I would suspect the dynamic movement (acc/dec) of a servo might
> actually shake it less.

Thats with accell/decel controls, steppers do that too, in LinuxCNC.

> It seems like 500 ipm should be easily doable with a servo. But that's
> still just reading/watching knowledge here.
>

> Mach3's bob's can be used but my being a "CET" means they're not OOTB
>

> CET means central european time to me - what does it mean to you? :)

Certified Electronics Technician. Registered in Nebraska in 1972 as
NEB-118, but the 118 was the count in the whole country.

> For folks who aren't comfy with a hot air rework soldering iron
>
> > surgically implanted in a right hand, that need does remove those $20
> > boards from consideration. Mesa and cnc4pc both make better bobs, but
> > bring more money.
>
> Not an EE - but I had my first soldering iron when I was 7y :)

Good, I think I was 9 yo.

> > But,if you are going to use it to drive a spindle, which is "CCS"
> > service. be sure and tell Jon when you order it. he'll change the
> > toroid filters from ICAS to CCS, the ICAS version gets hot, the CCS
> > versions doesn't.
>
> Why would they not be CCS?

Servo's at rest don't use a lot of power.

> > > Which made me curious and I started digging - down the rabbit hole
> > > ;)
> >
> > Locally, that hole is more likely a gopher or ground hog hole. ;)
>
> Got more gophers than rabbits? :)

Locally yes.

> > > Hope that explains the status quo.
> >
> > Somewhat, but the ball screws at 5mm pitch is pretty much stock in
> > what's commonly available.
>
> People usually build this CNC with 10mm pitch ball screws and open loop
> 2.5Nm steppers with a parallel BOB.
> I could go 2Nm or 3Nm closed loop steppers - but are still not much
> wiser in terms of the boards.
>
> Maybe finding an old parallel port machine might still be the easier
> route
> :-/

Better yet, a pci-e buss and a 5i25 card. two parports lots faster than a
mobo parport.

> Happy Easter!
>
> cheers,
> Torsten