On 2/18/23 19:28, Rod Webster wrote:
Progress has been slow with  the kernel stuff. I was able to build a non
PREEMPT_RT image for the Odroid N2++ and get it to boot yesterday.
Initially you need to boot from petitboot which sits on flash storage.
Step 2, adding the PREEMPT_RT patches failed after that.  It seems the
armbian kernel 6.1 is a bit behind kernel.org so some of the patches from
November failed.

Kernel 6.2 is released today. My plan is to move to Armbian Edge which
already runs the 6.2 kernel before continuing. I need to get that sorted
bere trying xenomai

Gene, the Armbian build environment is run on an amd64 environment. I have
to say playing with kernels has shown you need a PC with 8-10 cores to get
it done in a reasonable time which is something my 10 year old i7 does not
have!

My rpi4 can build lcnc from git, buster master branch in around an hour the last time I fired it off a couple months ago, but probably slower today with all the new gfx in the docs. The docs take way more time than lcnc.

I haven't actually built a new, running kernel in going on 3 years, but I've built what I'm running in a bit over an hour. My build environment is on a 240 gig SSD on the usb3 adaptor, so the only traffic for all that does not touch the u-sd it boots from unless I install the debs it makes for linuxcnc.

This is the kernel I built in Fed 2020:
Linux rpi4.coyote.den 4.19.71-rt24-v7l+ #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Feb 6 07:09:18 EST 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux

latency-test shows about 12 u-secs for the 1khz servo-thread unless FF is running, FF is a pig but you knew that. Even watching youtube the lathe rarely stutters. but latency will hit 200 u-secs pretty easy then.

I have a standby and a small ups on the pi, so I determine uptimes, it has never crashed,
pi@rpi4:~ $ uptime
 01:38:13 up 124 days, 12:17,  3 users,  load average: 0.46, 0.34, 0.26

I hope the next one I build is as stable.

Anyway, that 240g is about half full and I can clear out whatever it take to make a new test mule out of it. Probably 100g of non-precious stuff.

Rod Webster
*1300 896 832*
+61 435 765 611
Vehicle Modifications Network