The kernel that has been used previously on the RPi4 has worked fine on the
5. The Foundation images for ALL versions of the RPi used the same kernel,
I've booted the same kernel version on the Rpi4 and 5 so to say "solid
preempt_rt kernel for the Pi5 which has not been possible previously" is
not correct, as I've used the same kernel version and patches on both the 4
& 5 (tho built suit each platform), the bootloader decides which kernel
image to boot based on the name of the kernel image file. If you need to
remove-add-customise anything from the images you can mount them and then
use qemu to chroot into the image and do what you need to do, this is how
the bulk of the image is created. This I've mentioned before via email.
Here are a few images I've done some post build "polishing" when installing
the desktop I used xfce task as this installs a little more, mainly the
network manager.
General use for Linuxcnc
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ve6LismgxL0OfYufkeU1Z0hzdWhbf_WJ/view?usp=sharing

A complete development image for the Litexcnc project, includes OpenOCD,
oss-cad-suite and some other bits and pieces as required, previously this
link was only shared on the github page for the project
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l9dldTeoRwV8Ma3ljQCWFn-8pFGjuIot/view?usp=sharing