Vom: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 12:27:41 +1100

> Linuxcnc only really needs one image, it's not really meant to be a General
> Purpose Distro,

That's debatable. A lot of projects offer various images for different purposes
(e.g. retropi has images optimized for different Pi revisions). Some even don't
provide images at all but just an installscript that works with multiple
distros (e.g. pi hole).

If you mean that there's no urgent need since there are more important issues
with linuxcnc currently, I'd strongly agree.

> that is the image that has all that is required to get up
> and going. Anything else may cause confusion, as I've noticed some people
> can be a bit adverse to reading information or there can be a language
> issue.

Although I found some info a bit hard to find/scattered but generally I would
avoid optimizing for documentation size.
Sure it's nice to have a generalized default image to get 95% of use cases up
and running quickly/not optimized, but I don't see "confusion" as a valid
reason to never provide options.

> A developer will be able to get all the bits & pieces they need.

Sure, i was just tired of doing that process manually so I automated the setup
of the buildchain, git clone and all mumbo jumbo.

> In my opinion an image without a UI doesn't make much sense for Linuxcnc.

I think the opposite is true: A machine controller (firmware) providing a
realtime environment doesn't make much sense to run Xorg + fullblown DE (+
browser) along with it,
while at the same time caring about latency benchmarks.
The only reason I see is making a compromise for people to get up and running
quickly and not requiring to setup server + client separatly. (I.e. the "RPi
way" to just boot an SD card image and get going).

But I can tell from personal experience that running milltask + rtapi_app on a
system without UI makes A LOT of sense.

> And "normal" & "minimal" are quite subjective.

They were just examples for different flavours of images.

> uninstall libreoffice to reduce download size. I also included the "gvfs"

Well I know we live in a world were multi-million dollar machines are run from
some default $99.95 OS (*cough*windows*cough*), so I wouldn't be surprised to
find modern CNC controlling firmware offering a Netflix client... or an office
suite. Personally, I wouldn't call such a thing a sane default.

> member, so what Rod went for was great, I just kept doing things my way for
> personal use.

Same with my rpi-cookstrap config to build a self-bootstrapping linuxcnc pi
image.
I just thought I'd share it in case others don't feel like cross compiling.
(You wouldn't need to run it as it's just a collection of bash scripts that
could be run manually or serve as documentation).

Regards
DH

> On Fri, Dec 29, 2023 at 11:40 AM Daniel Hiepler <d-linuxcnc...@coderdu.de>
> wrote:
>
> > Vom: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 23:02:26 +0000
> >
> > > On Thu, 28 Dec 2023 at 14:07, Daniel Hiepler
> > > <d-linuxcnc...@coderdu.de> wrote:oot I had no more Wifi and (worse)
> > > the ventilator was a max

> > created a "fire & forget" bash script to build an image from the ground up
> > and compiles linuxcnc+rt kernel on the pi:
> > >
> > > Why do people keep reinventing this particular wheel? We distribute a
> > > Pi SD card image via www.linuxcnc.org.
> >
> > I wouldn't call it "reinventing the wheel" since it's quite a different
> > approach without cross compiling and better customization options. I use a
> > minimal kernel config and you can make it build an image without Xorg and
> > linuxcnc --with-x=no.
> >
> > Also, the image wouldn't boot on the Rpi4 at the time I tried it.
> >

> > > If there is something about it that you don't like, then make a change
> > > request, rather than dividing the effort.
> >
> > It would be nice to have builds of multiple Rpi images (normal, minimal,
> > developer, without UI etc.) but it would take a lot more effort than it
> > took for this.
> >

> > Regards
> > --
> > Daniel Hiepler