Hi Jon,

The below references are from my 1989 copy
of CFR 47 so by this time, the paragraph references may
have changed.  But the discussion below should be otherwise
current.

All devices must bear a label in accordance with
CFR 47, Part 15, Subpart A, Paragraph 19.  For
example, ITE Equipment would be labelled with the
statement given in Subpara (a)3 of Paragraph 19
regardless of Class A Verification or Class B
Certification or Declaration.

Also, a Class A device must have a unique identifier
chosen by the manufacturer (such as a model number)
per CFR 47, Part 2, Subpart J, Paragraph 954.  The identifier
must NOT be in a format that can be confused with an
FCC Class B ID numer.

ONLY devices which are Certified as Class B
can bear the FCC Class B ID issued by FCC in addition to the labelling
required above.  If the identifier is not on the machine OR
you have not labelled your machine with the new Class B
D of C label, then the product would not be considered Class B.
So under the new D of C rules effective 8/19/96, you now have
the option of labelling Class B using the Certification process
or meeting ALL of the provisions of the D of C procedures.

Clear as mud?

Any corrections of misinterpretations that I may have
are always welcome.

Happy New Year All.

Regards,
tony_fredriks...@netpower.com