Judd and Art -

I know this particular product well.  It was one of my projects, while working
at UL.  I can't give you many details, on ethical grounds, but IMO, it's good
stuff, within its Recognized limits.  Please note that:

        the manufacturer in the 1996 UL RCD is Furukawa Electric Co., Ltd., not
Fujitsu Denso, and

        the product category is Miscellaneous Insulating Devices and Materials
(OCDT2), not Magnet Wire (OBMW2).

For the inquiring mind, the product category was selected, based on use of ANSI
MW1000-1977 for (OBMW2), which only looks at dipped insulation applications,
where solvents are used in the processes.  The subject wire uses a different
process.

On the other side of the coin, Annex U only allows winding wire that is
spirally wrapped in polyimide film, which the subject wire is not.  Properly
used, I'm confident that TEX-E will make it through most any UL evaluation,
particulalry for ITE, since that was my goal in doing the work.  The same
probably applies to CSA (Egon?).  However, you will probably have more
difficulty with the application elsewhere than in the northern bits of  North
America.

At the time I was performing the evaluation on the subject winding wire, the
proposal for Annex U had been made, but was not yet voted on in TC74 or in some
similar state of being.  It was my understanding then that there was either one
or a small core of magnet wire manufacturers in Europe (German, meguesses) that
pushed for Annex U.  I urged Furukawa to take the issue up with TC 74, but
haven't heard or read anything on topic since.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver
Northern Telecom
peter_tarver-mt...@nt.com

As ever, the above are *my* views and are not necessarily those of Northern
Telecom.  Don't even _think_ of laying that wrap on them.
------------------------------
Hello Judd,

The wire you refer to is "triple insulated" wire.  It has three coatings
of insulation either wound or extruded over the conductor.  It is
described in CSA 22.2 No. 950/UL 1950, Third Edition, Annex U, titled,
"Insulated winding wires for use as multiple layer insulation" and in
Section 2.9.4.4 titled, "Wound components without interleaved insulation".
I believe there are a few other suppliers of similar material.

I would expect that the source you identified could quickly tell you if
and where this product is used in a Listed or Certifed product.

Regards, Art Michael