RE>>Routine Hipot testing                    5/6/96

Be aware that when doing manufacturing floor testing, the 1 second test is for
levels 20% higher (AC or DC).  IEC 950 also states 3000VAC + 20% for
re-inforced. ( 1sec)
Regan Arndt
Safety Technologist
Nortel, Calgary
--------------------------------------
Date: 5/6/96 3:50 PM
To: Regan Arndt
From: Kazimier Gawrzyjal
   ----- E X T E R N A L L Y  O R I G I N A T E D  M E S S A G E -----

                      RE>>Routine Hipot testing                   5/6/96
           Kaz-ESN 765-4805

Egon,
You may have a point.
However, Note 1 of UL 1950 ed. 3, cl. 5.3.2  merely reads:  "For production
test purposes, it is permitted to reduce the duration of the electric strength
test to 1 s.  Alternative methods of production test are under consideration."
The above sub-clause note, in no way details manufacturing and production test
requirements, unlike UL 1459 (cl.6.3).
Hence, there is much implied in the above note while not much is stated
regarding production testing requirements.  This is likely due to the complete
reliance of such requirements being stated in the report as opposed to being a
specified standard requirement.

 Cheers,
Kaz Gawrzyjal
Safety Eng-Nortel