Reply to:   RE>>Merger of Component Manufactures

All -

While the emphasis in this discussion has been on ways to bandaid(tm) reports
to avoid FUS problems for OEMs, I see this as a problem with the way FUS is
coordinated by the safety certifiers.

While at UL, mergers of companies proved a problem for doing type examinations,
too.  For one of the really big mergers a few years ago, where GE swallowed up
the "Cycolac" brand of ABS, the then Section Head of Santa Clara's plastics
group (now a Dept. Manager at Santa Clara and IAC Chair of the UL 1950 IAC) was
wise enough to send out a memo to all engineering staff, alerting of the
change.  This was followed up with a memo at the time the reports were ready
for issue.

Similar actions could likewise be carried out by providing a list of company
name changes, mergers, product line swallow, etc., by the safety certifers to
their own FUS auditors.  When a discrepency is encountered, the list can be
cross-checked by the FUS auditor and report  revisions can be initiated as a
part of the normal FUS process.  This little bit of additional service could be
mutually beneficial to the component supplier, OEM and safety certifier.

This certainly should not replace notification by component manufacturers, but
would certainly smooth over the process for all affected parties.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver
Northern Telecom, Inc.
peter_tar...@nt.com