From: Bill Bryans
'     IBM Canada Ltd., Program Manager, National Requirements
'
Subject: Is Product Certification a Legal Requirement?

Gene, I have to agree with Ron. In Canada, you legally can not market an
electrical product without Provincial approvals. This can be achieved in
2 ways: The approvals,  in the form of a certification,  can come from a
Nationally recognized agency  such as CSA, or from the  Power Utility of
the Province you intend to place the product.

Certification in  itself provides zero protection  from liability suits,
but will assist with due diligence  via an objective second opinion that
your product meets the intent of the standard.

Regards, Bill Bryans

|TEL:(905) 316-2281 Fax:-4220 T/L:886  Internal Mail:'A4/626/3600|
|TOROVM1(BRYANS) IBMMAIL(CAIBMZHQ) Internet:bry...@vnet.ibm.com  |
*** Forwarding note from SMTP2   --IINUS1   05/01/96 18:51 ***