Rick,
a CRT can emit X-radiation. The intensity depends mostly on the anode
voltage and on the shielding.
A general rule can be given as follows: if your acceleration voltage is
below 20 kV, the available energy is not big enough to cause measurable
X-radiation that is greater than the natural radiation in nature.
If the anode voltage is between 20 and 30 kV you have according to the
German X-rad ordinance two options: either you perform a type test and
have an approved agency verify for you that the amount of emission is
below a specified value, or you dump the burden to the manufacturer of
the CRT and let him furnish a certificate where he states that the
emissions are below accepted threshold.
If your anode voltage is more than 30 kV you have to do the type testing
and (for use in Germany) you have to obtain a license from authorities.
To make a long story short and to be on the safe side: talk to your
manufacturer of the CRT. He should know all the answers.
Regards.
--
Horst Dierich, Karlsbader Str. 32
71139 Ehningen - Germany