On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Nick Rouse wrote:

> The rationale offered by Tom Cokenias is fine for
> equipment that is always configured with cables on
> all connectors. The pins would then would not
> come within the criteria that I suggested of
> the user being reasonably expected to touch
> them. However many items of equipment are
> designed with connectors for optional attachments.
> A PC manufacturer does not expect that every
> computer sold will used only with a device on
> every serial and parallel port. The test is intended
> to simulate a real risk. Where to apply the test
> should surely be governed by where this risk is
> real.
> Nick Rouse

Yes, and when the cables are connected, just in this moment the ESD could
happen and destroy the equipment before being put into service.

The DB 25 or DB9 connectors should be designed with a sharp edge on the
shield and with round ends for the pins. Then the spark of the ESD gun
will jump to the grounded shield and not to the sensitive pins. (Or in
the field use from the user's finger to the shield)

rgds

Rene