Moshe,

The competent bodies I have dealt with (3) have required ESD testing to
metal shells of D connectors and have specifically excluded requirements to
test the pins.  The rationale has been that the mfr put the connector for a
cable to connect to it, meaning the pins will be somewhat protected.  The
mfr should not be penalized because the user does not choose to configure
the system in the way it was designed.

Connecting cables to all ports and then testing ports at the cable juntion
seems to me to satisfy both the spirit and the letter of the requirement.
The(exposed) pins would then not be accessible to the user, and the
vulnerability of the EUT can be still tested at locations where cable type
may not afford much protection, eg, where flat ribbon or unshielded cables
are employed.

Tom Cokenias.