UMBDENSTOCK, DON wrote:

> Does anyone know if there are any formal restrictions to using  red
> colored lights for front panel displays and indicators?
>
> Is there a harmonized European standard or regulation or a specific
> national regulation that requires the restriction of the color red for
> warning, danger, etc.
>
> It seems it may have been a German ergonomic requirement before various
> standards were harmonized.  Can anyone shed some light on this issue?
>
> Don Umbdenstock
> Sensormatic

The Bellcore telco standards define RED as a major alarm.
This policy was used for telco equipment sold to Europe.

FYI,
Ten years ago, I brought a product liability lawyer into
a company to educate and review from the legal side of
things.  Good experience.  Expensive.

His recommendation world-wide was

RED = DO NOT TOUCH, STOP, EMERGENCY, SOMETHING'S WRONG, etc...

GREEN = GO, EVERYTHING IS FINE, etc...

This was the result of a disagreement about the color lens
used for an AC ON/OFF switch used anywhere.

For the ON/OFF switch, it was decided to use GREEN for
power ON.

   The comments and opinions stated herein are mine alone,
   and do not reflect those of my employer.