In my experience, the integrator is the party responsible for final
system compliance, as configured (IOW - I agree with Bob). If something
fails in the test in the final configuration, it's just good business
sense for all parties involved to work trogether to solve the problem.

Example: My company has a few deals with a few computer companies which
integrate some of our cards into their systems. Our cards are CE-marked
Class B, having been tested in a few "representative" systems from a few
manufacturers (I suppose that's the "due dilligence" on our part).
Computer company A has had no problems certifying with our cards.
Computer company B has had a good track record with us, but finds with
their new zippy SuperSpecial model that they have a problem which is
related to our card (or a peripheral attached to our card). It makes
sense for Computer company B, my company, and whomever is the peripheral
supplier to look into this problem together and offer final solutions
(this scenario has happened a few times in the past, and the problems
were rectified to the satisfaction of all parties in a rather short time
period).

Steve Chin
StreamLogic Corp.

Bob Martin wrote:

>Most definitely.... The system integrator is ALWAYS responsible for the
>final outcome (whether it is internal cards or external printers as in
>the original case).
<snip>

Tony Fredriksson wrote:

>This is very intriguing.  Let me throw out a scenario for comment.
>Let's say that I have a PC with CE marking and I integrate a video
>card and 15" monitor, also with CE Marking, and all declared to Class B
>levels.
>
>Now suppose I import the system to Germany and don't test to
>verify the combination since these "new guidelines" say that it is OK to
>do so based on the fact that all of the items bear the CE Marking.
>The authorities obtain a sample, test it, and find that video
>emissions are over the Class B limits at multiple frequencies (this
>happens all the time by the way).
<snip>