Hello.

I don't know your application here of course, but it may not meet your needs
simply to divide the incoming line voltage and give it to an ADC, since that
would connect your logic ground to the AC neutral at the ADC, and this might not
be a good plan.  Using the "ground" reference from elsewhere in your system
could introduce ground noise at the ADC, and throw off your readings.

If this point is valid, and you need to isolate the AC line being measured from
the ADC, you might use a voltage controlled oscillator, and an optoisolator.
Provide a very small off-line power supply for the VCO, and use rectified line
voltage, (suitably filtered, and divided down with a precision resistor network,
and overvoltage protection), as the control voltage for the VCO.  Then the
output of the VCO can drive the LED of the optoisolator, and the transistor of
the opto will switch at a frequency proportional to the rectified line voltage.
This approach would also eliminate the need for an ADC, since the frequency can
be digitally measured.  You could also use an optoisolator in linear mode, and
use the transistor's output voltage as an analogue of the line voltage,
(eliminating the VCO), and use the ADC again on that signal.  However
optoisolators often have a current transfer function that changes over time, and
the system may need recalibrating later.

Be slightly cautious not to draw significant current from a half-wave rectifier
(single diode), since the harmonics introduced by half-wave power supplies have
led to such supplies being disallowed by the European Community, I believe.

Jonathan Malton
S-S Technologies, Inc.
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.

"I'm not so arrogant as to suggest that my opinions are corporate policy"