The CE mark is being monitored, although not equally by all countries.  One
company that I heard of shipped equipment into France without a CE mark.
The equipment was stopped at the border and the manufacturer was asked if
they wanted to return the equipment to the US or sign a contract with the
local government to bring it into compliance.  The EMC mark is being
enthusiastically enforced by Germany and France as well.  There have been
some comments in this forum regarding a Notified Body's right to pull
equipment off the shelf and test for compliance instead of waiting for a
complaint to be filed.

Regardless of whether you get "caught" shipping unmarked or non-compliant
product, the CE Directives are still laws that must be complied with, and
they can come back to haunt you years later.  If you ship non-compliant
equipment today and three years from now it is discovered, your company can
be forced to retro-fit or pay a fine on all non-compliant equipment that was
put on the market.  I personally am aware of some companies that were fined
due to non-compliance.

Patty Elliot
TUV Rheinland of North America
ell...@tuv.com