Martin

You didn't describe your product very clearly.  A PLC can be many different
things  - It can be modular with power supply components, Logic and I/O
modules or it could be a brick style with everything integrated under one
housing.  Typically there are provisions for 120/230 VAC power and I/O but
I have worked with bricks that have only 24VDC power and I/O.

Another issue is what are you to analyze
A narrow interpretation says no components and nothing below 50VAC or 75
VDC for the LVD.  Unfortunately there is need for interpretation.  I
understand that there is a CENELEC document on interpretation for the LVD
on these matters in the works.  Any one know the expected release date?

Components can mean many things.  A resistor or capacitor is a component
that must be considered in the design context - No LVD CE mark
requirements.  While a PC monitor is a component of a PC system but has an
"intrinsic" or "direct" function and is marketed and packaged separately to
the end user - LVD CE mark required here.

What is not clear to me is how you would treat components within a PLC.  A
power supply module driven from 120 VAC would clearly need the LVD for CE
mark.  The analog Input module is a trickier problem.  I believe you would
need to coordinate isolation barriers with the PLC system but it is not
clear if you must CE mark this module relative to the LVD.

I have a similar problem with a communication card in a PC.  The card is
well below 50VAC or 75VDC so it appears that it doesn't need a CE mark for
the LVD.  It does for EMC and I believe the expectations are that I  have
the card meet the same safety requirements of the PC "IEC 950".

You mentioned analysis of "circuits" relative to the LVD.  This is an
awkward perspective.  Perhaps I don't understand your wording but you are
implying that you could pay attention the hazardous circuits and ignore the
rest.  You obviously need to analyze the isolation barriers between the
hazardous and SELV circuits and in that perspective the whole product with
both the hazardous and SELV circuits falls under the LVD.

All that said - I think your real problem is that your customer wants more
than the CE mark, they think they want the PLC to meet the needs of the PLC
family standard.  If you do not comply today - this could be a tall order.
If it is just CE then I think you could make a case for meeting the EMC and
safety portions of the family standard only.  The difficulty is in
separating those requirements from the operational requirements, like
programming conventions that  you talked about.

Hope this helps

And of course these are only my opinions and not that of my employer

Regards
Chris Wells
Sr Des. Eng.
Cutler-Hammer
well...@ch.etn.com
-------------
Original Text
From: C=US/A=INTERNET/DDA=ID/martin(a)pc.mei.melco.co.jp, on 6/11/97 9:14
AM:
Sorry about the previous attempt!! I hit the send button by accident!

Dear All,

hopefully one of you out there can help me with this,

My company has recently been contacted by an organisation stating that
our product (programmable logic controller) should comply with the
requirements of EN61131-2 (the standard for programmable logic
controllers) as it is listed on the OJ for the Low Voltage Directive. No
problem with that, we already comply with the safety aspects of this
standard. However, they also think that we should test to and satisfy
the functional requirements as well as the safety requirements. To my
knowledge LVD is concerned with the safety of circuits operating at
voltages above 50VAC or 75VDC. The directive states that the safety
requirements only need to be met and most of the standards listed on the
OJ for this directive are applicable to the safety requirements portions
only. Also at the beginning of EN61131-2 it states that this standard
takes precedence over all other standards EXCEPT basic safety standards.
EN61131-2 isn't actually a safety standard as such, it covers design and
definition of PLC systems as well as design requirements for circuits
operating within the voltage ranges that fall within the scope of the
directive (and a whole bunch of other stuff I don't want to go into!).
However, as many of the circuits within a PLC system are SELV they don't
fall within the scope of the directive.

Is there any justification for this organisation to demand this?
Am I missing something here?

Best regards

Martin Ginty
Mitsubishi Nagoya Works