Hello Martin,

It depends on what your end user is using the PLC for.  If it is used in a
safety circuit then functional aspects are considered critical as well as
safety aspects.  EN 60204, which is one of the main standards used for
machinery, specifically calls out in cl. 12.3.1 that "programmable
controllers shall comply with relevant IEC standards (see IEC 1131)".

When testing a machine I would not accept a CE marked PLC, only a
third-party marked version, and only if all of the applicable parts of the
standards were tested.

The LVD should be used for end-product systems, not components, and safety
critical components (like e-stop switches or PLCs) should meet the
requirements of their relevant component standards.

Patty Elliot
TUV Rheinland of N.A.

Personal opinions, not corporate