dlo...@advanced-input.com wrote:

> My company is looking to purchase some ESD Simulators.  There are basically
> three manufacturers worldwide of this type eqiupment, and ESD guns are not
> cheap.  I am interested in hearing of any experiences or information, good
> or bad, anyone has had with particular models of ESD Simulators.  Since this
> may not be an appropriate open forum discussion topic, responses can be
> off-line.
>
> Thanks
> Darrell Locke
> Advanced Input Devices

Hi Darrell,
Long ago in a land far away when I first started compliance, I worked
for a company that used a homebrew ESD thing made from a flyback coil
from a tv set that could literally kill you.  They had started using
this thing on products due to numerous complaints from customers
concerning ESD events in a carpeted office environment.  Theory was
at the time (from the two gentlemen that ran the lab both had EE Ph.D.s)
if the product could survive that, it'd survive anything.

I bought a Keyteck Mini-Zapper and things settled down.  I changed jobs
and at the new company bought another Mini-Zapper.  But, I soon ran into
trouble at that time for there was (at one point in time) the need for
three seperate guns (three seperate human models) for Bellcore, and
IEC-801 series testing.  I stayed with the the MiniZapper arguing that
the IEC series was "more" valid than something from Bellcore due to
it based upon law.  Bellcore is not based upon law.  It is allowed
to be interpreted any way the two parties agree.  Still not satisified,
the customer protested and I rented from GE rental a Schaffner NSG
ESD gun (the specific model number escapes me but I'm sure someone
will know exactly what it is) that was more in line with everyone.
Before I left that company, it was to be regular policy to rent
equipment as needed rather than buy.  At the time I supported that
decision.

Now, at yet another company, the lab I go to uses a Compliance Design
device (again the model number escapes me).  I am still supporting
rentals and that falls into the Schaffner series when needed.
Calibration,
updating to any changes for another human model (I don't think this
will happen soon), and storage during downtime I incur upon the rentee.

Regards,  Doug