The problem of measuring an EUT signal close to an ambient
is not new. There have been various techniques tried to
resolve it but the problem still remains. Try these:
1. Look in ANSIC63.4. (I am not at my desk, but this document may
provide some guidelines)
2. Center the SA on the machine signal. Now reduce the Res B/W until
you can discriminate between the ambient and the signal. Now take the
measurement - noting in your test report the actual B/W used. ********
***WARNING****** Keep a close eye on the amplitude of the
signal. If it starts to fall as you reduce the B/W then you cannot
go any furthur.

Comments anyone?