        From:  ed.pr...@cubic.com
        Sent:  Tuesday, November 17, 1998 12:35 PM
        To:  Richard A. Schumacher; rjgr...@lucent.com
        Cc:  c...@dolby.co.uk; DeDe Luong; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org;
Katie Lombardi; lfresea...@aol.com; Paul Colonna
        Subject:  Re: Laser pointers

          From: rjgr...@lucent.com
          Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 16:55:17 -0500
          To: "Richard A. Schumacher" <schum...@valencia.rsn.hp.com>
          Cc: lfresea...@aol.com, c...@dolby.co.uk,
emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org

        > Not long ago the US military was using lasers in their war
games.  I am
        > pretty sure these were lasers because they were used to
confirm "kills" at
        > long distances.  If I recall the soldiers were not required to
where safety
        > goggles.  I do not know if these laser war games are still
conducted, but
        > it would be interesting to know what class of laser they were
using.

        What a great opportunity to insert 25 cents for Cubic! The
Defense Systems Division of Cubic has the US Army contract for
development and supply of the MILES 2000 Tactical Battlefield Simulation
and Training System. Think laser-tag with M-16's and M1 tanks!

        The MILES system uses a laser emitter about the size of a deck
of cards clipped onto the barrel of the basic M-16. Other lasers are
boresighted onto the other typical tactical weapons (squad assault
weapon, 50 cal sniper's rifle, M-60 heavy machine gun, TOW launchers,
HUMVEES, Bradley IFV and Abrhams MBT). We really had a lot of fun firing
blanks on the M-60; the concussion sets off auto alarms for blocks
around!

        All of the lasers emit in the infrared region, so they not
visible. The usable range for the M-16 emitter is 1000 meters, but the
minimum eye-safe distance is only 1 meter! Now remember that the laser
is boresighted to the weapon. And also remember that the weapon is
firing a blank which results in a flash/bang/blast/recoil similar to a
live round. Finally, the laser emitter must sense the flash and recoil
of the blank before it will emit any energy. (This is to eliminate
cheating by zealous soldiers who have been known to flash lights into
the sensors or bang on the weapon barrel with a rock.) The Army believes
that few soldiers would be looking into the boresight of a firing weapon
at distances less than 1 meter. Other unwanted effects would certainly
prevail over laser exposure.

        The other larger weapons have emitters which are more powerful,
but the worst case safe distance is still 10 meters. (Again, 10 meters
in front of a tank muzzle is not desirable real estate.)

        All participants in the training wear laser detectors that look
like half-size epoxy hockey pucks. A soldier wears a web vest with
front/back detectors and a cluster around his helmet. A tank has
multiple detectors strung on a long web belt hung around the turret.

        All of the emitters use a very narrow pulse duration of less
than a nanosecond. The bits form a digital word that has a frame rate of
around 2KHz. The limit for retinal exposure was placed at 0.3
microjoules for a single burst exposure to obtain the safe distance. Not
only is the peak power very low, but the average heating effect is
extremely low due to the very low duty cycle.

        In my EMC lab, I have been able to align simulators using an
ordinary camcorder with video sent to a monitor. The camcorder has an
optical passband far enough into the IR to easily allow this trick. And,
we have never had any eye injuries or camera detector burns.

        Regards,

        Ed

        Ed Price
        ed.pr...@cubic.com