Hi Darrell et al,

 Traceability is the key here. And, it is up to the manufacturer to implement
 the process that works best and which also provides that traceability for the
 inspectors when they visit. Getting the inspectors in-and-out quickly has
 always been a goal because its better for the manufacturer and for the
 inspectors.

 For the Certificate of Compliance (CofC) method, keeping a mountain of paper
on
 file is not preferable, but it is one method. If the manufacturer's quality
 system dictates it, then those records need to be kept or maybe the quality
 system needs to be changed. That's a call only the manufacturer can make,
 however.

 In my experience from many past lives, traceability has taken the form of
 CofC's, part marking, design drawings, and audits of the molder(s). Part
 marking involved part number, molder & material ID's. The audits were done by
 the agency inspectors referencing shipping invoices, PO's, etc. Any of these
 methods have been acceptable to inspectors. It's worth noting here that in one
 instance an inspector said to change a wire harness design drawing to include
 the wire insulation thickness on the drawing to establish traceability, but
 that's another story.

 As Rich has stated, the CofC method is at the mercy of the incoming inspection
 function. Unless these people are well trained and committed to look for and
 retain the CofC's, the CofC's will be lost. And, having a thousand boxes
arrive
 all at the same time will only compound this. To lighten the CofC paper load
 the manufacturer might have the vendor supply the CofC's in electronic format
 or convert the CofC's to electronic format. A CD-ROM might contain an entire
 file cabinet and a hard disk would almost certainly contain many file cabinets.

 With all this said, appeasing the inspectors is important, however, they are
 not the ones who set the rules. They are there on the front lines only to
 ensure the product(s) are being built to the same level as the one(s) that
were
 initially evaluated. For an efficient inspection visit, this is where
 established traceability of components and materials is imperative.

 Also, established traceability should prove extremely beneficial in product
 liability litigation should that ever happen, heaven forbid. But, I'm sure you
 already know that.

 Pardon my rambling and I hope I haven't wandered too far off base.

 Best regards,
 Ron Pickard
 ron_pick...@hypercom.com