This issue came in my attention in January 1998. ..I contacted some
manufacturers of LED (because I thought that they have the
responsibility to provide the classification), and unfortunately no
answers...

Within the catalogues no information regarding the Class of the ordinary
(!!??) LED.

I contacted CSA and an engineer involved in the evaluation based on 950
Standard, told me that they are considering these components as Class
1....

I still feel that it is the responsibility of the LED manufacturer to
provide the information related to the Class of the LEDs.(the CENELEC
OSM/EE  mentioned that:"...adequate information from the equipment
manufacturer is acceptable..."(see the information provided by Mr. Egon
VARJU in October. Thank you  Egon, again!)

I can not say that it is ridiculous or not, if it is a Clause in the
Standard, means that shall be respected; it is stringent for a higher
class of laser products...

Respectfully yours,
Constantin Bolintineanu P.Eng.
Product Safety Engineer
bolin...@dscltd.com
The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of my
employer.