PSNet & Rich,

        I like Rich's summary of the problem...  In my work, I am
continuing to ask (harass) the LED manufacturers for data showing that the
their LED's do not fall into the laser mode under normal or expected fault
conditions... I know that they can't define all the fault conditions, but
they can define the conditions under which the devices act in the laser
mode...  These manufacturers are better able (or at least carry more
responsibility) for working out these ugly details...  As Rich has found,
most manufacturers do not yet know how to answer these questions...  (but
they seem eager to sell their devices into a laser market, if it will bring
in a few more buck$ (or Euro's or whatever you want to call them)).

        So my message is, like Monty's, keep after the manufacturers to
better characterize their devices in line with the 825 requirements...

        - - - - -

        Peter E Perkins
        Principal Product Safety Consultant
        Tigard, ORe  97281-3427