Hello Chris (and group),

I hope no one feels offended by saying hello to "the group". :).
You are right Chris, as a UK citizen you may certainly have experienced the way
our fellow
engineers at the other side of the Ocean treat the problem of EMC.  I think
however that, just as in Europe were other factors as interference limiting
were influencing the "EMC laws", the same will happen in the US.

Asymmetric load in 3-phase cables and excessive neutral current caused by 3th
harmonics of the main current were reason for the introduction of the EN
61000-3-2 for limiting harmonics current. This problem is valid anywhere in the
world. Dips caused by switching loads and introducing flicker effects in
lighting equipment nearby is irritating everywhere.

The item of opening the market has the same impact on the global market as it
has just in the EC.

If you look at the Australian EMC regulations, then you may conclude it is very
similar to the ce-system.

I think that the way we handle essential safety and EMC-matters in Europe based
on the so-called new approach directives using harmonized international
standards is an extremely clever chosen system.

Combined with the routes of self certification for less critical human safety
related issues and the European type test modules which rely (partially) on ISO
9000  we found a means of relatively easy and market conformance to the new
directives leading not only to an open market , but to better products.

Already now we can see that product quality improves. Customers of me state
that the number of service calls for newer products drastically lowers,
especially those that lead to a no-error-on-service-dept conclusion. I
therefore draw the conclusion that those problems were EMC-related.

Please, hello there in the US what do YOU think of this.

To provoke some reactions:

Don't say that it's not relevant to you, or that US regulations are enough. I
personally am very happy to receive US apparatus on my test bank, because it is
a lot of work (= money) to get them within EU specs. Every time i am surprised
by the number of safety and emc problems US equipment contain. Just point to
them with a GSM phone, and they virtually short circuit. !

Regards,

Gert Gremmen
==
CE-test, qualified testing,
Consultancy, Compliance tests for EMC and Electrical Safety
15 Great EMC-design tips available !
Visit our site  :  http://www.cetest.nl
The Dutch Electronics Directory http://www.cetest.nl/electronics.htm
==